Sunday 14 April 2013

It's A Vintage Christmas

It's a Vintage Christmas at my desk at the moment, and I have enjoyed every minute of making this "old worldy" card. I have had some vintage looking canvas prints in my Christmas theme drawer since 2006!  I gave a quick rustle through and I found them right away.

Early in the New Year of 2012, my local scrapbook store had a huge Christmas clearance. I picked up several sheets of Bo Bunny brown and blue glittered paper at 70 or 80% off. Although I originally bought and used it for scrapbook layouts of the grandkids, I loved the way it seemed to compliment my vintagey image. Even though it is 12x12 design paper, it seems to work out OK for cards. Thanks goodness I bought about a dozen sheets!

I decided to throw caution to the wind and pull out my ribbon collection! Yep that's another one on the 2013 goals list...use more ribbon. You would think I have a ribbon shortage the way I am so stingy about using it!  I sometimes think I have decided it is prettier to look at rather than use...teehee
Found something suitable and it was off to the races.
I almost titled this post...The Oldest Embellishment Ever...but then Iwould have had to search out challenges for embellishments nearly half a centry old!   Sooooo...here goes the story....
When I was a teenager, (45 year ago!) my Aunt in Antrim, Ireland, sent my Mum 5 yards of gorgeous aqua Springbak Linen. My Mum was going to take it to a dressmaker and have a suit made. Luckily for me, she never got round to it! It was given to me about 30 years ago...I was planning to make some embroidered tea towels with it...and just like my Mum, I never got round to it. I cut off a generous piece of it a couple of weeks ago, and this is the first time I have managed to work it into a card. I cut the rectangle slightly bigger than my image and frayed all the edges. A piece of jute burlap layered on top of that,  just seemed to add a little more texture! Some punches and dies, a few pearls, a snippet of twine, and a well inked Bliss ticket finished it off.
You may be able to see the two layers of texture better here...

This shot shows the sheen on the DP and on those large snowflakes...they are quite shimmery!


I am pleased with the way this card turned out. I have left the inside plain so far as I am thinking about making a coffee gift card enclosure inside. The colours I used just remind me of the Christmas specialty lattes. A certain young lady will be home from Monaco at Christmastime...and she is quite the coffee lover!

That canvas sheet had several images so while I had it out, I trimmed them all up and chose paper to go with them. Expect to see several vintage Christmas cards this year!

Card Recipe

Card and base.- from my stash, originally from Michaels, Recollections brand, Kraft corrugated card sets
DP - from my stash; Bo Bunny's Back to Basics Snowfall Flakes and Snowfall Words 12x12 (snippet)
Cardstock -  Kraft, from my stash (snippet)
Ribbon - from my stash (snippet)
Canvas image - from my stash; Crafty secret 2006
Border - from my stash; K and Co, design motif Brenda Walton (snippet)
Punch - Martha Stewart Snowflake
Dies - Marianne Creatable Corner dies
Pearls - from my stash (used up the last of the medium size)
Ivory Glittered Snowflake - from my stash (originally from the Dollar Store)
Fabric - Aqua Irish Linen (sent from Ireland about  45 years ago)
Jute Burlap - from my stash
Twine - from my stash (snippet)
Stickles - StarDust
Ticket - from my stash (unknown as this is leftover stash before the days that I recorded manufacturers)
Chalk Ink - ColorBox Chestnut Roan on ticket and on all edges (my go-to colour)

I am entering this card is the following challenges:
1.  Pixies Crafty Workshop - must use snippets
2.  Winter Wonderland - No red or green
3.  Jingle Belles Rock - Recycled Element (blue linen fabric)
4.  Crimbo Crackers - #38 Vintage
5.  Cards Galore - Vintage
6.  By The Cute and Girly - Vintage
7.  CRAFTS Challenge - Christmas
8.  Totally Papercrafts - #162 Get Krafty
9. Three Scrappy Gals - Earth, Nature, Recycling (recycling blue linen fabric; recycled jute coffee bag; also my Kraft elements are all 80% recycled paper)
10 . Sister Act - Always Anything Goes
11. CHNC Extra - must be Christmas
12. Shopping our Stash - Not your normal paper (Glitter Paper)

46 comments:

McCrafty's Cards said...

Gorgeous Vintage style Christmas card Mo, I like the santa image, the colours and the snowflakes.
Kevin xx

Carol said...

A fabulous vintage Christmas card Maureen, love all your layers and the gorgeous image. Carol x

Connie Mercer said...

Wow,gorgeous! Hope you win!!!

downrightcrafty said...

what a beautiful card, thank you for joining us at the Winter Wonderland
Hugs Kate xx

Jo said...

Wow, Mo.....that is one stunning Christmas card....packed full of fabby embellies! Love all the layers, the texture, the gorgeous image.....a perfect Christmas card!
Hugs Jo x

sue w. said...

Hi Mo, love this vintage creation, it reminds me of when I was a girl. I can't believe you've had the cloth so long, all the more special it was from your Mum. Love all the sparkly bits too, got to have glitter on a Christmas Card.
Have a fab day.
Hugs Sue W.

Di said...

Oh my word Mo - that is one absolutely STUNNING Christmas card. So many beautiful elements, perfectly combined. I love the way the little girlie is whispering in Santa's ear too :)

Hugs, Di xx

MaryH said...

Maureen, I hesitate to say this but You have outdone yourself with this most beautiful card (hesitation was cause I didn't know if it would sound the way I meant it!). This is such an intricate card, and I so enjoyed reading the story behind it. It did indeed say "Vintage Christmas" with everything you have on it. Your old-time image was just perfect with all the other elements. This one gets a BIG A+ and your Miss is going to fall in love with this one, and especially knowing Mama created it especially for her, with memorabilia! TFS

Sarn said...

I totally agree with Di's comment (above). FABULOUS xxx

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

So beautiful! Awesome layering and pretty pearls!

Mrs A. said...

Lots of lovely vintage ness to look at on this card. The colours look fab all put together. Hugs Mrs A.

scrapn_momof2 said...

OMGoodness this is stunning!! Love the vintage feel of it. Love the layers. Love it all!!

Hettie said...

WOW! Maureen this is GORGEOUS and perfick in every way. Love love love it!!
Well done you.
Hugs
xx

Tracy said...

Your card is beautiful.
Love the old world look to this, stunning
I thought I had some old supplies...but I think you got me beat ;)

Tracy said...

Well I love this and I don't care how old the parts and pieces are. They look amazing. Lots of great sparkle, and you HAVE to have that on a Christmas card. :-) Beautiful job! Hugs!

SmilynStef said...

What a gorgeous vintage design ... love all of the dimension and texture ... so very glad you joined us at jingle belles.

Sassy Raggedy said...

Mo, I am sitting here laughing so hard at your post...You sound like someone I would get along with very well...lol I have also decided I need to use more ribbon instead of holding on to it...Your card is beautiful...I love how you have used just the right amount of blue through your card to bring out the blue in the photo. This is just wonderful. joann sassy raggedy

sue w. said...

Back again Maureen with my DT head on, Thanks for joining us at Totally Papercrafts.
Hugs Sue W.

Shelby said...

You've captured the essence of vintage just perfectly. Love all of the layers you've used and the image is perfect.

Shelby

Jules said...

Simply stunning Maureen.

I love all the gorgeous layers .. .. and there are so many great embellishments. Everytime I look at it I see something else that is beautiful to look at!!

Hope you are having a good week.

Love Jules xx

ShanaM said...

Very nice!!!

Pia S said...

What a wonderful design for this lovely image! Love how you've combined all these elements, and the colors are perfect for the vintage look!

Rebecca said...

Hi Scrappymo i love your card its so sweet!

Love From Rebecca xx

Cathy said...

Hi Mo, love all of your elements and the story behind them. This will be a card to be treasured for sure :) Cathy x

Mary Jo said...

Very pretty!
And great story, too :)
Love your "almost" title!

Hazel said...

Wow this is amazing, Maureen - beautiful - thanks for entering my CHNC challenge extra for April – hope to see you again soon. (your link was a bit wrong so didn't work, but I tracked the card down on your blog and have mended the link for you) x

nancyparker55 said...

This turned out lovely. Lots of pretty detail.

Krafty Kows said...

Love this vintage card. It is really beautiful. Thank you for joining us this week at C.R.A.F.T.

Karrie said...

Wow! Love the linen and the story behind it. Thanks for participatin in the Sister Act Card Challenge!!!

Glenda Atkins said...

Gorgeous vintage piece and love the tale of Linen and it's journey to your card! Wonderful crafting!
hugs
Glenda

cotnob said...

This is a fabulous Christmas card, such a lovely vintage image and so many great details.
Pauline
x

Darnell said...

What a joyous thing you did, Maureen, finally using that beautiful linen of your Mom's! And, wowza, what a fab way to bring it to life! (You are amazing working this into FOURTEEN challenges!!)

Katherine said...

Beautiful card with soooo many layers (and lots of history) love it.

cotnob said...

Hi Maureen, I just popped back to say thank you for sharing your fabulous card with us at Winter Wonderland this week.
Pauline
x

Lisa said...

simply gorgeous. that linen texture is wonderful

Lisa said...

ps. I just came back to say thank you so much for coming by my blog the other day and leaving all those wonderful comments for me. you are very sweet and generous with your compliments :-) thanks a lot, made my day.

Carol L said...

What a fabulous layered creation! Oh my goodness, this truly is a vintage beauty! I love the sparkle, pearls and big snowflake behind the canvas! NJ!

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Mo this is a big hit with me as I love anything vintage, the design is superb the embellishments and image look spectacular an ACE creation for sure.
hugs
lorraine x

Anne-Elise said...

Gorgeous vintage Christmas card, Maureen! Love all the beautiful details! Fab work! Hugs

lauren bergold said...

what a gorgeous vintage-style holiday card and yes, a BRILLIANT use of that beautiful linen!!! so pleased you could join in our earth day special at JINGLE BELLES! ♥

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

great style! thanks for visiting me... martin shaw looked very nice and it was very exciting to watch the filming, jenx

Sue Althouse said...

This is so much fun, such great layering and detail!

DeBe said...

I'm feeling all christmassy now, great card.Thank you for taking part in the Cards Galore Vintage Challenge, Denyse x

Tammy (LaDiva) said...

Great vintage creation! Thanks so much for playing with us at By The Cute & Girly’s Vintage challenge and good luck!

Tammy, BTC&G DT from Créations LaDiva :) xx

Daphne/Scrapsofstuff said...

This is a beautiful christmas card. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Three Scrappy Gals.

Tip Top said...

This is wonderful and do like the story behind it too! Thank you for joining in at Crimbo Crackers – hope you can join me again for the next challenge! Crimbo Crackers